Thursday, September 27, 2012

Cool Options


We got to start picking out materials this week!  My son and I met with Jon at the Green Design Center and had the pleasure of meeting, Andy, for the first time.  Andy showed me interior materials for counter tops, floors, paint, and had suggestions for furniture when we get to that point!  When I sold my house 3 years ago, I donated nearly our entire house of furniture and belongings to a local charity that gives items to those in need.  So once we have a house, we’ll need to re-purchase everything (couch, beds, kitchen table)… in time.

Getting back to house materials, my son and I had a great time and found a ton of cool options.  My son wants to tile the entire bathroom in bright turquoise 1x1 tiles.  Errr…. that was not how I pictured our bathroom in my mind.  We have compromised on a turquoise blue (but a bit more toned down) accented bathroom.  Some of the tile styles (say that 10 times fast) have unique designs and are made from recycled glass.  They just might make their way into one of the bathrooms or kitchen. 

So as we were googling over materials, Andy was explaining that he rates each product by “Degree of Green”, a rating that he developed years ago to classify and rate products by one of three categories (1) their impact on the environment – “green”, (2) their impact on human health, how healthy it is for humans, and (3)…. well, to be honest, I stopped listening after #2.  How exciting!  

2 comments:

  1. Avocado goes well with bright turquoise (just kidding). . . Seriously, greatly enjoy reading of your travels (& travails) to a healthy home.

    ReplyDelete